Useful metrics will tend to track these kinds of behaviors:
Participation, such as:
- Regular events (e.g. worship, Sunday School, Wednesday supper, ongoing groups' meetings)
- Annual events (e.g. retreats, beach weekend)
- Ad hoc events
- Do members seem more or less engaged in congregational life?
- Has any faith-related participation shifted to opportunities outside the congregation? Why?
- Do some members (age group, gender group, socioeconomic group) seem more or less engaged than others?
Ministries, such as:
- Sunday School teachers and how many calls it took to recruit annual staff
- Volunteers for ongoing mission work (e.g. Habitat house)
- Volunteers for ad hoc mission work (e.g. assist flood victims)
- Acolytes and how many calls it took to recruit them
- Distribution of participation (new members, longtime members, women, men, age cohorts)
Giving, such as:
- Pledge data
- Special appeals
- Ongoing mission appeals
- Capital projects